Wednesday, July 30, 2008

One week ago today, our lives changed forever.

I can't believe it's already been one week since Campbell was born. My last doctors appointment was Tuesday, July 15th and my doctor had me convinced I would not make it to my due date. So........we waited for something to happen, and nothing happened. We went ahead and scheduled an induction for the 23rd so we arrived at the hospital at 7 am. I was so anxious just not knowing exactly what to expect. They checked us in and started me on Pitocin at 8:15. The morning was pretty slow with not much action, and I was still pretty comfortable. I was only dilated to a 1 until about 3:00. They had been continually upping the dosage of Pitocin all day so around 3:00 I started getting VERY uncomfortable. I knew that I would eventually get an epidural, but part of me felt like I needed to suffer a little before I gave in. I lasted as long as I could before giving up and asking for the drugs. All I have to say is praise the Lord for epidurals!!! After that, I really didn't feel a thing. I don't know how women do it without one! Between 3:00 and 8:00 I went from a 1 to a 4 to an 8 to a 10. Around 8:15 they had me start pushing and told me most first time moms push between 2 and 3 hours. After the first few pushes, I thought to myself that I would never make it pushing for 2 hours. I was exhausted already. I figured I better get the show on the road and get the baby delivered. Thankfully, after 35 minutes of pushing, Campbell was born at 8:51 pm. She weighed 8 lbs and was 19 1/2 inches long. It was so amazing to meet the little thing I'd been carrying around for 9 months!!!

0 comments: